pregnancy / week 36 / the final countdown

Welcome to probably my last pregnancy update before the littlest Hudgins arrives sometime in late October! I feel really great. No swelling, no pain, a few practice contractions here and there. My firstborn's newborn and 0-3 month clothing has been washed and put away neatly for reuse, the carseat has arrived (but it's still in the box), and we only have one out of three rooms that needed repainting painted. We're feeling somewhat prepared.

Right now I have no reason to think that this baby is going to come any sooner than my first (41+3), but birth is unpredictable. While I'd like to think that I'd be perfectly fine to pack a small bag while I'm in early labor, it's just one less thing I'll have to think about. With my first I had no real idea what to expect and waaaay overpacked so my goal for this birth was to pack as minimally as possible. I went over my packing list from my fist birth and crossed out all of the things I didn't actually need or use, even with transferring from the birth center to the hospital, and devised a new minimalist birth center packing list. My new birth center is much closer to home so if I do need to transfer again we can just send someone back to the house to pick up anything extra we might need. 

If you're here to see what kind of bag I'm using let me just go ahead and let you down easy... it's a black Adidas duffel bag my husband has used since college. It's not much to look at but holds everything on my list with room to spare. 

Minimalist Birth Center Packing List

For Mom
One of my goals for this birth is to labor at home for as long as possible. I've only packed the things I'll need to clean up a bit and drive home. 

1. Swim top - I'll have access to a birth tub, so I'll need something I can get wet. My "swim top" is actually just an old black nursing bra with the padding removed. 
2. Black underwear (2) - I believe this is self explanatory.
3. Cloth pads (2) - I cloth diaper my kids so why shouldn't I cloth myself? I'll be bringing two heavy pads from Bare and Boho. They are SO soft and I can't wait to try them out!
4. Comfy bra - My milk came in pretty fast with Levi so I want to have a little something for support on the way home.
5. Loose top - I've packed a stretchy tee that is roomy on me while pregnant. Don't wanna be showing off my new mama muffin top in a tight shirt!
6. Black pants - Again, self explanatory. 
7. Perineal spray & balm - One's lady bits tend to be a bit *ahem* tender after giving birth, so I'll be bringing two awesome Earth Mama Organics products that worked well for me the first time around. Their Herbal Perineal Spray and Organic Perineal Balm help to cool things down, down there
8. Perineal bottle - Portable bidet to help tidy up before going home. 
9. Hair ties
10. Lip balm
11. Face wash
12. Body wipes
13. Washcloth/towel - My birth center doesn't have showers, but I do anticipate wanting a bit of a wipe down before heading home.

For Baby
1. Towel/receiving blanket - Depending on whether baby is born in the water or dry, we'll still need something to keep baby warm for a bit. 
2. Coconut oil - What kind of crunchy mama would I be if I didn't immediately slather my kid's bum in coconut oil? But seriously, this is the best way to keep meconium cleanup to a minimum.
3. Diapers (3-5) 
4. Footed sleepsuit - Cute going home outfits are not necessary. Baby will be skin to skin with me or daddy until we head home, so all baby needs is something warm for the car ride. 
5. Hat - Because what baby doesn't look adorable in a handmade bonnet from Nested Goods ;)
6. Cuddle/car blanket - Just something cozy to wrap over baby during skin to skin and in the car. 

For Dad
1. Swim trunks - In case my husband will get in the birth tub with me.
2. Change of clothes 
3. Washcloth/towel - Daddy might want to freshen up a bit too!

Extras
1. Phone chargers
2. Camera kit - includes my camera, battery charger, SD cards, and tripod
3. Earphones - in case I need to tune myself out
4. Birth ball - helpful for positioning!
5. Snacks - crucial for replenishing energy during labor!

And that's it! I've tried to trim the list down to the bare minimum, but there may be items I end up not using again. 
Did I leave anything out? What is something you couldn't live without right after birth?
You can download a free PDF of my list here
 

Comments

Popular Posts